Dulais Valley Heritage Trail

Banwen Village Trail

Please click the red symbols on the map for more information. You can also click the small images on the pop-ups to see larger versions.

Iron making and coal mining created this settlement soon after the Onllwyn enterprises. Banwen colliery opened in 1845 together with the erection of the colliery houses. A later development was the opening of the larger Maesmarchog mine and more workers housing. Banwen ironworks was established in 1847 but only lasted until 1854. This area was very isolated before the Neath and Brecon Railway opened in 1863. Until then the only means of conveying the coal and iron out of the valley from Onllwyn and Banwen was by a horse-drawn tramroad westwards to the Swansea Canal near Ystradgynlais.

Printable leaflet

Banwen - Surrounded by myth and legend

Banwen - Surrounded by myth and legend

picture iconPictures

Please click the picture to below to open a slideshow of larger pictures from the Banwen Village Trail.

Banwen Slideshow