Dulais Valley Heritage Trail

Crynant Village Trail

Please click the red symbols on the map for more information. You can also click the small images on the pop-ups to see larger versions.


This is the oldest settlement in the Dulais valley. Around 1500, Llangatwg parish church opened a daughter church, or chapel of ease, at Creunant to serve the needs of the Dulais Valley. By the 1840ís Creunant had developed into a small hamlet consisting of the church, non-conformist chapel, an inn, a mill, and about a dozen dwellings. The opening of the Neath and Brecon Railway in 1863 led to increased coal mining activity in the valley. At Creunant several new mines were opened including the Crynant Colliery, Brynteg Colliery 1904, Llwynon Colliery 1905, Dillwyn Colliery, and Cefn Coed Colliery 1930. These mines led to the expansion of the village.

Printable leaflet

Crynant - The oldest village in the Dulais Valley

Crynant - The oldest village in the Dulais Valley

picture iconPictures

Please click the picture to below to open a slideshow of larger pictures from the Crynant Village Trail.

Crynant Slideshow